The appellate court has granted an injunction pending appeal. This means the farm will stay open until the court can make a decision on the appeal. UPDATE: The appellate court hearing is TOMORROW, 5/14 at 9:00AM at the 9th Circuit District Court, 95 7th St. in San Francisco. Please plan to arrive by 8AM to ensure a seat in the courthouse. Thank you for your support!
Help Save Drakes Bay Oyster Farm
A third-generation ranching family in Point Reyes, the Lunnys purchased this historic oyster farm to revive a part of our community and ensure the health of the estero. We provide local jobs and a sustainable food product that supports local businesses. Our stewardship of the oyster farm has resulted in award-winning oysters, and has protected the pristine waters of Drakes Estero and its abundant wildlife.
In November 2012, the National Park Service issued a decision that would shut down our business. In the course of this decision, NPS misrepresented the law, our contracts with the State of California, and the results of scientific studies. The fight is not over. We are in court to protest this. We need your help to continue.
Thank you for your support, as always. We would not be here without our loyal fans, customers, and supporters. May truth and justice prevail, with liberty and oysters for all!
The Drakes Bay Oyster Farm Family
News & Events
- Dr. Corey Goodman Files Scientific Misconduct Complaint
- A comprehensive Complaint detailing serial scientific misconduct was filed on 3/4/2013 with Dr. John Holdren, the President’s Science Advisor (and architect of President Obama’s Scientific Integrity Policy). The 150+ page Complaint addresses an “Enterprise of Misconduct” at three Federal agencies -- the National Park Service (NPS), the US Geological Survey (USGS) and the Marine Mammal Commission (MMC). Click here to read the letter
- Drakes Bay Oyster Company's Royal Shucking
- "On a cold November Thursday, Ken Salazar made a boatload of enemies with a single phone call. The secretary of the U.S. Interior Department chose that day to announce his decision that the Drakes Bay Oyster Company, the family-run seafood business that became a fixture in Drakes Estero at Point Reyes National Seashore, had 90 days to depart the premises." Click here to read the full article
- Local Granges Unanimously Support DBOC
- The Sonoma Valley Grange and the Marin Grange have voted unanimously to pass the following resolution:
Be it resolved that, the Sonoma Valley Grange supports the Drake’s Bay Oyster Company and the Lunny family’s efforts to continue operating their oyster farm in order to maintain the harmonious co-existence of sustainable agriculture and wilderness and;
Be it further resolved that, the Sonoma Valley Grange encourages all interested parties, including our state and federal electeds to explore any and all necessary creative needs to achieving an amicable resolution to the issue.
- Dianne Feinstein Weighs In
- Senator Feinstein writes in to the Marin Independent Journal: "Accurate, objective science should guide environmental policy, and when science has acknowledged problems, it should never be used to make decisions. There is no guarantee that any given study is perfect, but we should all agree that decisions based on science we know to be flawed is a stark violation of the public trust." Click here to read the entire op-ed piece.
Drakes Estero in morning light.
As stewards of the land, our practices are driven by a deep respect for the earth and the waters of the Estero ecosystem. The farms provide jobs, housing, and income to many locals, and are a significant part of the history and diversity of this thriving agricultural community.
We promise that we will provide you and your family with products of only the highest quality produced in the most humane, local and sustainable manner possible.
Our Drakes Bay Oysters and other seafood are raised in the most pristine body of water quality of any growing area in the state of California. A deep-water upwelling just off the coast of Drakes Bay provides cool, nutrient rich water year-round to Drakes Estero. This uniquely pristine water produces what are recognized as some of the finest oysters in the world.
The Lunny Ranch produces certified grass-fed beef and beef products. Our certified organic pastures are situated in the heart of the Point Reyes National Seashore, with the Pacific Ocean bordering one side of the ranch and Drakes Estero bordering the opposite side. We like to think our fresh, marine environment and excellent pasture productivity makes our beef the best you will ever taste.
Support Local and Sustainable Farming
We believe that sustainable farming methods are essential to conserving and restoring our natural surroundings. With this in mind, we are urging everyone to support local farmers.